Thornton Safer Neighbourhood Team
Tel: 0208 721 2622
In an emergency, always dial 999
Non-emergency number 101
Help us to help you prevent burglary
The Met is cracking down on burglary. We understand that it can be financially costly and emotionally devastating for victims and their families.
However, by taking just a few simple measures you can dramatically reduce the chances of it happening to you.
Most burglaries tend to be opportunistic rather than planned. So if your home does not look secure, seems unlived in, or provides unobserved access, it could be at risk. Understanding what burglars look for when choosing their target will help you identify weak spots in your home’s security.
Our 10 Top Tips:
- Mark or etch your property with your postcode, house or flat number or the first three letters of your house name.
- Register items with a serial number at: www.immobilise.com
- Do not leave your car keys or ID documents near doors, letterbox or windows.
- Always check who’s at the door and don’t open it if you feel anxious.
- Close and lock all your doors and windows, even if you are only going out for a few minutes.
- Keep your valuables out of sight.
- Leave some lights on if it will be dark before you get home.
- Install a visible burglar alarm.
- Always keep sheds and outbuildings locked.
- Cancel milk or other deliveries if you will be away for days or weeks at a time.