Real trees are recyclable, however artificial ones are not. If you have a real Christmas tree, the most environmentally conscious way to dispose of it is to compost it. If you can’t compost your Christmas tree yourself, the council can help.
Simply ensure all the decorations and tinsel are removed from the tree, and it’s out of its pot or stand.
If you have orange sack recycling, the council will collect your real Christmas tree with your rubbish and recycling. Trees will be collected during the week beginning 7 January 2013 on your normal collection day.
Alternatively, you can take your Christmas tree to the following locations yourself, from 5th to 14th January:
- Clapham Common, Windmill Drive, SW4
- Kennington Park, Smith Street off St Agnes Place, SE11
- Streatham Common, rear of Upper Common car park, SW16
- Archbishops Park, Carlisle Lane, SE1
- Lambeth Reuse and Recycling Centre, Vale Street, SE27 9PA (closed Tuesday and Wednesday)